Thursday, August 31, 2006

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Or not. Recently, I had the portunity to be a spectator at a semi-pro baseball type game. Here in Dogpatch, them’s the big times. Anyways, at the end of the game, the players from the winnin’ team (this would be the home team on this occasion) all congregated (word of the day) in the middle of the infield a’givin’ each other high-fives, etc.

Now, I’m not complainin’ bout people a-celebratin’ when there’s a victry. But, what happened to the good ole sportsmanship practice of high-fivin’ the other team and sayin’ “Good game”? This ritual of congratulatin’ yerselves only has been goin’ for some time in major league baseball and I don’t cotton much to it. These are supposed to be our children’s heroes. How are our kids supposed to learn about good sportsmanship when their idols don’t demonstrate a lick of it? It’s just plain ole good manners to say somethin’ kindly to the opposin’ team when yer done. I guess it says something bout the state of our country when the national pastime has lost any sense of the good it used to be.

5 comments:

Lyle said...

I'm surprised the one of the players didn't have a cell phone stashed under home plate so he could make a celebration phone call on a home run...

"All the heroes we knew as a child have fallen to idols of clay..."
-Dennis DeYoung

Lyle said...

I should have written "all the heroes, legends I knew as a child...

Lyle said...

Did I ever tell you about the softball games I played in where the other team was supper cocky and totally unsportsman like?

Pappy Yokum said...

Comment 1 - Remember this is the Pioneer League, they don't receive cell hiding privileges until at least triple-A leagues.

#2 - I'm sure Dennis will be forgiving once you pay him a small sum forget the indiscretion.

#3 - I don't recall hearing but at my age, a second telling is hardly distinguishable from a first. hehe

Lyle said...

The pitcher for the opposing team was so cocky he would pitch behind his back, make faces, and balk intentionally. The crowd cheering for the other team would chant "run home. run home. on every single hit...even when they were up 30-3.