Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Dilemma Of Too Much Evidence

Over the past coupla years, there has been a lot of discussion concernin’ that global warmin’ thing. Seems there’s scientists on each side of the issue with enough data on their respective sides to fill football stadiums, or so it would seem.

So, I was a’sittin’ back and a’thinkin’, how can that be? What’s a poor fella like me supposed to do? How in tarnation can we find out what the truth is in these matters? If both sides have so much evidence, how can you logically dismiss one argument and take the side of the other?

As you can tell, I am not totally on one side or the other. Here in Dogpatch USA, we do try to recycle whatever material we can and also take steps to cut waste and energy use. I think it’s the right thing to do, even if you believe global warmin’ is just a nice scare tactic. Perhaps all ya’ll can help. Tell me what you think.

7 comments:

Lyle said...

I do be thinkin that we two be in the same boat.

The politics/rhetoric involved is mind-boggling and I think causes more problems than it fixes.

The Internet Dark Ages said...

Pappy,

I believe that the globe is warming and cooling all the time. We have evidence of it. A quick history lesson will show warmer times as well as cooler time. I remember that global cooling was going to freeze us all in the 70's. Now a mere 30 years later we are going to burn? Propaganda!

Man-made global warming? How arrogant we humans are. How high and mighty or awesome our perceived powers are. Propaganda!

History must repeat itself because we know so little about it. Until we gain enough knowledge to logically think things through we are doomed to such pomposity and from politicians no less. You’d think we had no brains.

Wake up people!

Pappy Yokum said...

Lyle -
Some day, I am going to come up with an answer that suits me and then I'll be done. Until then, if I start to slip out of the boat, do you want to haul me back in or do you want me to haul you in with me?

Pappy Yokum said...

Daniel,
As I said in the article, my jury is still out about whether or not man-made global warming is a reality. But, I don't think it is pompous for us to consider that mankind might be responsible for some global warming. If God desires to burn the earth at some time, perhaps He is going to let us begin the process. Not that I subscribe to that theory, I just recognize it as a possibility.

Russ and Mary said...

Ron(Pappy)
I think science doesn't really know what's going on. Their records are short-term when compared to the history of our planet, and their knowledge is way too puny when compared to the One who created this planet. Earth is supposed to return to its paradaisical condition, which to me would mean no snow. I suppose God could do that in an instant but He does work within natural laws. We'll just have to wait to see what happens. In the meantime, we do have a responsibility to be good stewards- to the best of our ability. If we could all ride bicycles everywhere and not impact the environment, it would be nice. But that just isn't going to happen. At least, not at this point in time.

Pappy Yokum said...

Russ or Mary or Both-
I agree with you 100%. Far be it from me to try to outguess the Almighty in how he plans to work things with our planet.

By the way, thanks for joining the conversation again. It's always good to hear from you!

Jillybean said...

Pappy,
I'm looking out my window at the two feet of snow in my front yard.
It's 11 degrees outside.
My feet have not been warm since September........

I'm seriously questioning this whole global warming thing.