Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's been so long since I blogged here, I think I almost fergot how to do it. I jist want share somethin' that's been on my mind lately. Ya know how all kinds a people been predictin' how bad the recession is gonna be? Well, is it better to be optimistic with economic forecasts or to be realistic (what some people would call pessimistic in today’s economic climate)? Does either one have the potential to lead to a self-fulfillin' prophecy? Meanin', if people continue to be pessimistic in their forecasts, will that cause additional cutbacks and restraint, thus deepenin' the recession? Or, if more forecasters are optimistic, will that lead more people to breathe a sigh of relief and begin a'thinkin' about expandin' their purchases again, thus liftin' the economy? What are your thoughts? I can tell you I am choosin' to be optimistic 'cuz I believe (say hallelujah!) in the power of self-fulfillin' prophecies (sing praises!) so I'm a'gonna do my part to help the economy. (say "amen!")

Sorry about the stuff in parenthesis - it's just a tribute to "the Bible Brothers", Billy Bob and Buford from the Church of the Whited Seplechure. If you don't know what I'm a'talkin' about, you missed out and that's just too bad.

2 comments:

Lyle said...

I certainly vote for the optimistic side. Otherwise, I'll find myself sampling the putty in the window frame.

Anonymous said...

I did indeed think you had forgotten how to blog! I think things are going to continue to deteriorate but it will be mostly due to the self-fulfilling prophecy thing. I have spoken to people in Germany and Argentina and the same thing is happening there and everywhere. People are afraid to spend money so they don't and then businesses go under due to lack of business. I have to wonder if maybe the whole shake-up isn't a good thing. We ought to consider better how we spend our money. What is luxury and necessity? Mary