Sunday, June 25, 2006

Reewards - Part 2

Well, now it's on to another lesson learnt during the move process. Moving into a brand new shack, Mammy wanted one of them new front-loading washer and dryer sets - no more scrub boards and hand wringing. We bought a set from down south and brought it up here ourselves. This meant me setting up the critters myself. Didn't seem too much of a chore, just make sure the little feet on them didn't do no rockin or anything like that. Make them nice and solid.

Well, I accomplished that feat. We had our first batch in the washer - things seemed to be going well when all of a sudden, we heard the loudest banging noise - bout scared the britches right off'n me. I ran to see what was causin such a commotion and was astounded to see that washer just a-bouncing and a-skittering cross the floor like a polecat possessed. I shut er down and scratched my head - what could the matter be? I pulled out the owners manual (yeah, go figger I hadn't done that afore) and it said the washer had to be real level.

So, I spent the next 3 hours fightin to get it level. It would be pretty close so I would try it only to have it start bouncing again. I actually got it perfectly level, more level than the plains of Kansas, and it still bucked like a horse with a burr under the saddle. I had to quit for the night.

When we finally got back to it, Mammy ended up calling a local appliance place and explained the problem. The fellow about busted a gut - not at our expense, just that he has received at least a call a week about this problem. It seems there are some packing bolts that have to be removed before running the washer. Nobody from the place where we purchased the machine had mentioned anything about bolts. So, I removed them and bingo - the washer works like a charm. One thing though, I'll bet I have the most level washer in the entire United States, if not the world.

2 comments:

Lyle said...

Level as Kanas plains is not level enough. Level as Lubbock (see how it roles off the tongue better) would be more precise and true to your attempts at leveling the washer.

ps. I'm glad that I can reap from your misfortune (when the time comes to purchase our new front loaders)

Pappy Yokum said...

You're right it does roll off the tongue much better but having never been near Lubbock, I had to settle with what I did know. The future will see a different description wrapped around my lips.