Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pappy’s freedom of speech

I don’t know about you but I love the US Constitution. It is a truly inspired document meant to protect freedoms and promote the continued prosperity (and I don’t mean riches) of our country. Well, here in Dogpatch, there was a time when ole General Bullmoose made a statement about whatever was good fer him, was good fer the whole country. Well, I never did cotton much to that and I still don’t. Seems to me that there are going to be times when someone doing their thing is going to end up being wrong against everybody else.

There are some that say that freedom of speech gives a person the right to “express” themselves in whatever manner they please. Well, I’m agreeing until you start trodding on someone else’s rights. When downright filthy stuff comes across to innocent computer users, then the line has been definitely crossed. But, it goes deeper than that. How many millions of victims, how many billions of dollars in law enforcement, counseling, and government assistance does it take before we recognize that by allowing such “freedom of speech”, we are actually taking the rights away from others?

We have laws against illegal substances but ignore one of the worst – no, not just ignore, encourage. All in the name of “freedom of speech”. Well, I want my freedoms and those of my family to be protected too and yet by statistical calculations, someone in my family will someday have their rights violated because someone else gets to exercise his/her “freedom of speech”. I respect your true God-given rights, just don’t trample mine while your exercising yours.

2 comments:

Lyle said...

Pappy-

How logic gets shuffled out of the deck I'll never know. So many cry out in the name of "freedom" yet have no clue as to what freedom means, and as such, they use the guise of freedom to enslave others.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I'm tired of people telling me I need to believe like they do...in the name of freedom. To call black-white and wrong-wright. To be labeled as a bigot because I don't enspouse with open arms every philospohy of man that comes my way. Instead of facing a single tyrant, we are up against a mob. It's Missouri all over again.

Pappy Yokum said...

It seems that every moral question our society faces today is fraught with the same challenge - accept it our way or you're a close-minded bigot. It was a sorry day when morality became bigotry.