Monday, March 27, 2006

Scary moments


It’s ironic how so many of the “scary” moments in life turn out to be not so scary. There was this time when I first came to Dogpatch that I came upon an idea (I know, doesn’t seem too likely but I swear, it did happen.) that I thought was pretty grand but I knew there would be folks in Dogpatch that wouldn’t cotton much to the idea.

I sweated and fretted about how to present the idea to them in a way that would be convincing to them that it was a fine and dandy idea, but would also cause me the least grief. For me, it was a scary situation.

Since Mammy is a natural-born leader, I went to her first. Even though that ended up being less scary than I anticipated, I was still scared out of my britches about presenting it to the main citizens of Dogpatch. Well, when all was said and done, it seems I had got myself all worked up for nothing. Next thing I knew, we were shooting the breeze and relaxing outside the post office.

I guess what I am trying to say is that many times, we tend to blow things out of proportion and assign reactions to people even before they get a chance to hear us out. More often than not, their reaction is much different or at least calmer than we expected.

So, my advice, the next time you’re faced with one of them scary moments, take a deep breath and just forget about the possible reactions. You’re probably exaggerating them anyway and in the end, you’ll find yourself dipping your legs in the cool stream with those you figured would be most opposed.

5 comments:

Lyle said...

Speaking of scary moments, I'm about to have one with one of my students who is having a "Wo is me because I am failing College English (assuming she shows up. this will be the third time she has tried to schedule an appointment to explain why she doesn't want to come to my class).

Lyle said...

Hah! Scary moment never happened. I guess the student doesn't believe that the English building has four floors. (I'll explain that one later)

Pappy Yokum said...

As Pappy said before, many of the "scary" moments end up not being scary. You have just uncovered one more reason why that happens - the no show.

Lyle said...

Yee-Hah! ol pappy dun figured out how ta include one dem der pictures on the fandangled internet blogger thingy-ma-jig.

The scary moment is still lurking around the corner. Sooner or later, I'm bound to actually meet with this student and then I'll have to hear her sob story. I could take the easy way out and email her saying, there isn't a need to come to class any more or do any more assignments. Your grade is long since passed into the realm of F-dome.

Lyle said...

Wow, when what should appear to my wondering eyes? Ole pappy himself, expanding his circle. If ever your curious about my connections to those on my blog site, I'd be more than happy to fill you in. Maybe, I'll even post about it like some others have.