Friday, March 17, 2006

Those despicable sales tactics

It seems that no matter what situations you encounter in the world of doing business, there are going to be some things that remain constant. One I find particularly interesting is that regardless of good intentions, everybody has sales tactics they use to ensure their success.

For instance, Mammy and I have been looking for a new house here in Dogpatch. We had employed the services of a good detective to root out the best buy for us. Well, as we came near to deciding on the house and our good friend saw us begin to waver, he immediately set out to demonstrate all the reasons we should buy the house. He didn't cajole or put any pressure, just gave us little hints about why this house would be so good for us - better than any of the others. He also put fear in us of waiting anymore because someone could come along and put an offer before us and then we would be out.

Well, I'll be hornswaggled if it didn't work! Next thing you know, we are making the offer. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not calling foul or anything like that. I just find it interesting in hindsight. Now, we are in the process of pressing hard to sell our own house and guess what - we have used the same tactics on people looking at our house. Funny how that works. So, just remember, the next time you want to poke fun or complain about the sales tactics used against you, you are probably just as guilty.

6 comments:

Lyle said...

Hornswaggle. Hornswaggle. A sucker is born every minute. :-D I feel sorry for the poor bloke of a realtor that we strung around...twice when we were looking for a home. I do not look forward to the day that me and da mrs. hafta use tactics on potential buyers.

I'm glad though that half your moving problems have been solved. I just hope you don't get caught between homes like we did. If so, I'll be sure to get in touch with your temporary neighbors and insist they come over, light one up inside your abode and kick your kids in the crotch before they leave.

Pappy Yokum said...

And you call me an "ogre"? You just keep your smoking, kicking, stomach punching friends to yourself.

Lyle said...

You have to have some sort of welcoming committee. Might as well go for the best.

If the smoking grandma, kicking and punching tot are booked, I can get you the showering naked ninja to give you a 'lil kung-fu to the face before you fall off the ladder and into the neighbors pool.

Lyle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lyle said...

Final option: I could probably talk Makayla into using her EasyBake to make some cookies (for your new house purchase) and send them via the Pony Express.

Pappy Yokum said...

Deal!